Monday, April 28, 2008

An Amazing Memory

Tomorrow marks a very memorable day in my life. In June of 2004, I made a commitment to a friend that would forever change my life, a commitment that changed who I am and changed the way I think about people, family, love and friendship. I was asked by one of my best friends to help her mom during the days as she was diagnosed with a rare form of brain cancer. I started out every day from 8:30-4:30 and reconnected with my friends mom, who I had always thought so highly of, she always seemed so cool to me and although she was "motherly" she had some neat ways about her that just interested me. She was Cuban and her culture itself was so different. Needless to say I was excited to take on this new challenge in my life. Slightly putting my business in a different corner as I spent every day helping and making a new friend. Some days more challenging than others and some days I got by knowing how much she appreciated me being with her. As her disease started to take over her body, the days became more challenging and this amazing strong woman became more and more frustrated in her lack of independence. It still amazes me how much I looked forward to seeing this woman, who at one time was just my friends mom, never in my life had I imagined that my friends mom would be an amazing friend to me too, never did I envision spending every day for over 2 years with her in the ups and downs of her life, never did I realize what an impact this woman would have on my life, never did I realize how lucky I was to have had the honor to know this woman and to "take care of her" for as long as I did. It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. As tomorrow marks the 2 year mark since her passing we certainly don't forget, nor will we ever. Thinking of all you Daley's today!

No comments: