Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Son

Before I entered the world of "Motherhood" there were several things that I SWORE I wouldn't do when I became a mother. These were things I had observed from family, friends, even strangers as I closely watched how people parented their children. These are just a few that are coming to mind, if you have things that you swore you wouldn't do, I'd like to hear it!
1. Being late. Why just because you have a child does that entitle you to be late? So your excuse is it's another body to get dressed, fed and out the door, well my response is, "plan ahead! You know you have that body to feed, and dress so get up earlier, do it faster, I don't care just don't use it as an excuse!" Well I am guilty of falling into this trap, and I HATE being late!!! My excuse is the feeding schedule and how long he nurses for, it is NO excuse for being late, but now my eyes have been opened to WHY you other mommy's run late and I apologize for critiquing you for it!

2. Put my relationship with my husband, Mike, BEFORE the baby AND when we actually do have a moment alone to NOT only talk about the baby. As a new mom this is SO hard to do! When you spend every waking moment with this child and just adore his every move it's so hard NOT to talk about it! And as for putting him first, I always swore to people that every marriage needs this for before child, it was just you, there is no baby with out you both so make time for each other. Although we have only been parents for 8 weeks, I still TRY and make time just for us. Even if it's just a few moments each night, it really is so important and I do believe that, BUT, not talking about my baby is VERY hard, you spend every waking moment with someone and then try not to say a word... IT'S HARD!

3. Weeks. WHY must you refer your pregnancy AND even more so your child's age in weeks. Are you trying to out smart the rest of us? Are you really trying to make us think that hard? Just say they are 2 months or almost 2 months.... again, I am guilty of this, however I am desperately TRYING to round to the nearest month!!!
4. The other thing I hated was when you asked people how you know you are in labor, their response is, "you'll just know" What a crumby answer, I mean I'm asking you to tell me how YOU knew so I was on a mission to be able to tell all you how do you know, and sadly my answer, "You'll just know!" :)
What I have made good with:

1. Letting others watch him. I could never comprehend why women wouldn't let others watch their babies. I'm not saying strangers, but your mother, father, mother-in-law, sisters, close friends etc. If you trust them, WHY wouldn't you let them watch your baby? It's good for you to get out even if it's just to run to the store, to take a shower, to just have a moment for yourself! I will make every effort to NOT give up on this

2. Not letting child sleep in bed with you! It might be because between my husband, my large yellow lab, and myself there isn't' much wiggle room in our cozy queen size bed, BUT regardless I do not want my child sleeping in our bed with us, there really is no reason for this in my opinion and it's a bad habit to break!

These are just some things that have come to my mind, I would love to hear what you have to say about this as I'm sure many of you think the same and many of you disagree! The bottom line is whatever makes your life easier and you and the baby happier, do what works for you... I sure have :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Kim I hear you on this! I know for me one of the things I swore would never happen had to do with food and never allowing my child to eat only chicken nuggets and mac and cheese because they detested everything else! I thought this had more to do with the parents and what foods they offered. I thought if kids saw their parents eating vegies and other healthy stuff they would just take to eating healthy and not fall into bad eating habits. Max our older son was a great eater and ate anything and everything we offered him! Oh success, I thought, my theory was right and then we had Sam! Well we ate the same with Sam and guess what he is the pickest eater! He's 19 pounds and 17 months, he likes some vegies, some fruits, pasta, and chicken and LOVES sweets, which we hardly ever eat or even have in the house!! Max still to this day would choose broccoli over chocolate and only eats Stew Leonard's ice cream. He dips raw vegies in balsamic dressing for a snack and doesn't like mac and cheese from a box! I've learned I was wrong, kids eat because of what they like not because of what they see! Oh well we tried! Enjoy motherhood, it certainly is an adventure! The most exciting, emotional, ever changing adventure anyone can take on!!

Kimberly said...

Thanks Kristin,
You're right I still say the same thing, of course time will tell! :) Just curious, did you eat sweets while pregnant w/ one and not the other? Wondered if that had anything to do with it! Those boys of yours are adorable! Enjoy them!